Monday 15 August 2011

Skin Cancer... Do you know your A B C Ds?

A few weeks ago I noticed a mole on my leg was changing in both size and colour. I saw my GP and she referred me to a dermatologist.

I had my first consultation on Wednesday and it went well.  The dermatologist didn't think the mole was a melanoma (cancerous) but she has decided to remove it to be on the safe side.  Her two main reasons for this were:
  1. I've had the mole since childhood and it has suddenly now begun to change. 
  2. My mum has had two basal cell carcinomas removed from her back.
If you are fair and freckly (like me and my mum) then you are more at risk of skin cancer so please make sure you keep an eye on your skin and look out for changes. You don't have to be a sun worshipper to be at risk.

Use the ABCD rule to help you distinguish between a normal mole and a melanoma


  • Asymmetrical - melanomas have two very different halves and are an irregular shape.




  • Border - unlike a normal mole, melanomas have a notched or ragged border.




  • Colours - melanomas will be a mix of two or more colours.




  • Diameter - unlike most moles, melanomas are larger than 6mm (1/4 inch) in diameter.




  • Here you can see my mole has a mix of two colours (dark in the middle and a light 'halo' around it) and it has also increased in size...



    So if you want to look like a bronzed goddess on your wedding day, please opt for a spray tan or self-tan moisturiser.  Don't hit the sunbeds, it's just not worth it!

    For more information on melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer, you can visit the NHS website.

    Love from,

    xBBx

    No comments:

    Post a Comment